Saturday, June 21, 2014

"Grilled" Romaine Salad

After a great workout, there's nothing like a refreshing salad to keep your healthy kick going. On the other hand, regular salads can start to become really boring, so I decided to put a new twist on my typical after workout lunch. In my opinion, everything tastes better grilled. Unfortunately, I don't have a grill in my apartment, but my pan and stovetop worked just as well. It might sound strange to cook your salad, but I promise life as you know it will never be the same. 
                            

The best part about this post workout lunch is that it only takes 5 minutes to make! First, I took three large pieces of crisp romaine lettuce leaves and added them to a heated up Pam sprayed pan (use as much Romaine as you'd like-I'm never really that hungry after a workout). Add some already roasted beets, chopped red onion, and a bit of green, yellow or red bell pepper. Instead of roasting your pepper (which can take a while), just stick it in the microwave for 45 seconds for a much quicker alternative. Season your "grilled" romaine with fat free balsamic vinaigrette, crushed red pepper, chopped onion, and your favorite seasonings- I used salt, pepper and garlic powder. I decided to add a few kosher dill pickle sandwich slices because pickles always go great with anything grilled. Feel free to top your "grilled" romaine with toasted almonds and grilled chicken for a much more filling and protein filled lunch.
                          

Recipe:
Pam Spray
1/2 Head of Romaine Lettuce
1/4 Cup of Beets
1/4 Cup of Chopped Red Onion
2 Slices Of Sandwich Pickles (Optional)
1 Tbsp Chopped Bell Pepper
1 Tbsp Fat Free Balsamic Vinaigrette
1/4 Tsp Chopped Onion
1/4 Tsp Crushed Red Pepper
Season to taste

*Cook for 5 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment