Thursday, June 12, 2014

Banana Cinnamon "Ice Cream"

As part of my health streak, I've definitely cut back on some of my favorite desserts. But that doesn't mean I can't satisfy my cravings with some great tasting healthy alternatives. Today, I was really craving some ice cream, but I've cut out most dairy products from my shopping list. So, I decided to make a one ingredient "ice cream." Yup! Just one ingredient... a banana. Putting frozen bananas in a blender or food processor will turn them into a creamy consistency close to ice cream! No need for heavy creamer or milk, which keeps this recipe unbelievably healthy. Just use a frozen banana as your base and add anything you'd like to make it your own unique flavor. Some great examples are cocoa, peanut butter, maple syrup, or pumpkin puree (refreeze this one after blending).




Since I'm on the "college budget" diet, I had to keep my recipe extremely simple. I chose to make my banana ice cream cinnamon flavored, yum! All you need is a large banana and some ground cinnamon. Prepare your banana by cutting it up into half inch slices and freezing them overnight. When ready to make the ice cream, take out the banana chunks and let them defrost for about 10 minutes, to make the blending process easier. Though a blender will work, a food processor will create better results. Blend the banana chunks until creamy, like ice cream. Add the cinnamon, or other flavoring of your choice. Now you're ready to indulge! Eat immediately or place in a dish and keep in the freezer. This recipe makes two servings.


Recipe:

1 large banana
1 tsp ground cinnamon or cocoa

*Feel free to add as many ingredients as you'd like

No comments:

Post a Comment