Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Crazy for Zoodles

Today's easy lunch was Zoodles, noodles made from zucchini! All you'll need is an appliance with the world's most ridiculous name... Veggetti. Yup, that's the name. I didn't choose it. Anyway! It works great and can be found for just $15 at your local convenience store.

Once you get the Veggetti, the rest is history. All you really need is a fresh zucchini and you're in business. Cut the ends off of the zucchini and just start twisting. Really, it's that easy.
Once you twist the zucchini and end up with fabulous looking "spaghetti," there's no limit to what you can do. Seeing as I recently moved into an apartment and apparently forgot to buy myself a can opener, my fire roasted tomatoes could not be of any use. Luckily I had some fresh tomatoes and spices to make a completely fresh and quick lunch. I used salt, pepper, garlic powder, crushed red pepper and a dash of low sodium soy sauce (I used Kikkoman). You can substitute the soy sauce with sriracha if you like your food on the hotter side, or even just regular marinara sauce. The great thing about zoodles is that you can eat it raw, sauteed, roasted, or even just microwaved. As a great side to this lovely raw lunch, I paired my zoodles with some oven roasted brussel sprouts (my absolute favorite vegetable) and a cup of grapes (my favorite fruit) for dessert. Hope you enjoy!




Recipe:
1 medium zucchini
1/4 medium tomato or 1/4 cup marinara sauce/canned tomatoes
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp low sodium soy sauce or sriracha
Season to taste

*For the brussel sprouts, just place them in the oven at 400*F for about 35 minutes and season with kosher salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment